Every true history must force us to remember, that the past was once as real as the present and as uncertain as the future
G.M. Trevelyan 1862-1962
Did you know its been 100 years since the devastating flu pandemic of 1918-1919? It was caused by a H1N1 virus of avian variety. There is no consensus on the origin of the virus, however it was first identified in the United States with infected military personnel in the spring of 1918.
The estimates are about 500 million people infected worldwide (1/3 of world population) with the number of deaths approaching 50 million. In the U.S., about 675,000 people died from the flu.
Fast forward 100 years, 2019, and we now have vaccines, anti-viral medication, and advanced medical surveillance, diagnositcs, and treatment to prevent another Flu apocalypse that the world experienced in 1918-1919.
FLORIDA FLU UPDATE 1/12/2019 Week 2
- Activity decreased in week 2 similar to past seasons;
- Most counties including Hernando, Citrus, and Pasco reported mild activity;
- The best news, no new Pediatric associated deaths;
- Its not too late to vaccinate for the 2018-2019 season, however the window is closing and supplies are declining. This is even more important if you are planning on travelling to high activity states (New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania);
- Please continue your everyday precautions!
Stay Healthy My Friends!
You will find the original blog post here: